Sunday, September 23, 2007

Christian Speak and Intellectualism

Today, our Pastor introduced his lesson with an amusing MP3 clip of how sometimes we Christians speak in a manner that is either confusing or offsetting to a non-be liver or a new believer. I chucked until I realized that that is exactly how we talk and address day-to-day issues. I once heard another minister address the issue by saying that sometimes our speech is so spiritual that it is of no earthly value. Now; on the other hand is the group of Christians that approaches and intellectualizes a subject to the point that not only is it confusing; it can be irritating. A classic example is an article pointed out by my son. The article is "The Boyfriend is back (and you are gonna be in trouble)" via Headsparks. First of all, let me say that I am not at all demonizing the individual that wrote it - for all I know, he wanted to stimulate our thought process and rock us out of our comfort zones - In my case he succeeded. While I agree with some of the points, I felt that an opportunity to speak many basic biblical truths was missed. My reaction was: Our focus must be toward a deep relationship with Jesus. I felt the article was over thinking the issue. Yes, there are a few that do not understand that to "love" Jesus is not the romantic love of "in love with". It would be better if they stuck to the definitions of love put forth in the bible. If it makes a man feel creepy to tell another man that he loves him ; he doesn't understand the concept of "Agape". That being said - the article makes a good point but the emphasis should be on how we have "naturalized" our spirituality and melded our "relationship with our Lord" to a carnal statement and misunderstanding of how we should feel toward God and Jesus. I wonder if Professor Stackhouse equates "Jesus I am not in love with you" to "Jesus I don't love you"?...

No comments: